Sunday, March 3, 2013

Roasted Root Vegetables

Confession: I am addicted to root vegetables. I can't get enough of them. I have always loved carrots, potatoes, and onions but I recently discovered that I adore beets. They have the most gorgeous color EVER and they dye your hands a lovely shade of red purple. And they are ridiculously tasty. Although the weather is bright and sunny right now, the weather forecast is predicting that the week is going to be wet and cold. What better time to make bright and colorful roasted root vegetables than when the weather is dreary and grey?! I know, you can't think of a better time either.





Roasted Root Vegetables

Ingredients:

- 3 beets (reserve greens for Sauteed Beet Greens, recipe below)
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 red onion
- 4 carrots
- 6 gloves of garlic
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh thyme, finely chopped

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 425.
2. Peel the beets and carrots.
3. Cut all the vegetables into cubes. Try to keep the size of the cubes uniform.
4. Toss all the vegetables, along with the garlic cloves, with some olive oil, salt, and pepper.
5. Roast the vegetables for 25-30 minutes. Add the thyme. Stir and put back into the oven for about 15 minutes or until tender and slightly browned.




Warning: The following thought may not make sense unless you happen to have a weird mind like mine. Once I peeled the beets, they reminded me of little gnome hats. So naturally, I imagined an entire beet gnome conversation between them. It was really funny in my mind.
I swear all these potatoes are okay....some of them just got a little beet juice on 'em.

Carrots are a bright and beautiful vegetable. I don't think they ever have a bad day.

So. Beautiful. 
I don't think any combination of foods is as simply gorgeous as this.

Time for the close-up. Flawless.

Sauteed Beet Greens

Ingredients:

- Beet greens from 3 or so beets
- Olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Juice from half of a lemon

Directions:

1. Thoroughly clean the beet greens. Separate the stems from the leaves. Chop the stems and tear the leaves into bite sized pieces.
2. Heat olive oil in large pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper flakes. Stir for 30-60 seconds.
3. Add the beet stems. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add in the leaves, cooking until wilted and tender.
5. Season with salt and pepper. Finish with lemon juice.
6. Serve with a little parmesan cheese. I ate this over some cous cous, but it would also work with quinoa or even pasta or brown rice. Pine nuts would add a tasty crunch to this dish.















No comments:

Post a Comment