Monday, September 24, 2012

Pizza for Breakfast



This weekend, I needed a hearty, hangover curing breakfast. So off to the store I went in search of the perfect thing to make. As I meandered the aisles, I finally settled on pizza. Pizza with eggs. I am completely convinced that both of these things, along with asparagus, have some sort of magical hangover curing ability. And maybe they do because after I devoured a couple of slices (I probably could have ate the whole thing if I hadn't invited a couple of friends over), I felt pretty damn good. Or it may have been the mimosa that I drank along with the pizza. Or the fact that, unlike my usual Saturday/Sunday situation, the pizza was NOT leftover from the night before. In any case, I have found a way to indulge in two of my favorite things at the same time.

You will need:

- 1 pizza crust (for the sake of convenience I just picked up a Boboli crust)
- Some pizza sauce (I had some leftover canned spaghetti sauce that I spiced up with some fresh oregano, thyme and rosemary)
- 1/2 a potato, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3-5 stalks of asparagus, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup of grated Gruyere cheese
- 4 eggs
- A healthy sprinkling of Parmesan cheese

Now, let's make this:

1. Preheat your oven to 425.
2. Heat up some olive or vegetable oil. Put the potatoes in the oil and WALK AWAY. This is the hardest part, but seriously, leave them alone for a bit. You want them to be nice and crispy. Come back in 5-8 minutes and if they are crispy, flip and repeat. If they aren't quite ready yet, let them sit for a minute or two longer and then flip. Once the potatoes are almost done, sprinkle them with a little salt and pepper and maybe a little garlic powder.
3. Heat up a little more oil and saute the asparagus. My asparagus was pretty thin so it only took about 4 minutes to cook.
4. Spread some sauce on your pizza crust and then sprinkle on the Gruyere. Top with the asparagus and potato. I then pulled out the middle rack in my oven and put the pizza on it BEFORE putting on the eggs so I didn't have to worry about moving the pizza from the counter to the oven and potentially losing an egg. Crack the eggs and place on the pizza. Be careful from placing them too near the edge as they will spread. You can also use a spoon to make a little bit of a well for each egg. Last, but not least, top the pizza with some Parmesan.
5. Bake for 6-8 minutes or until the egg whites are set and the cheese is bubbly.
6. Cure your hangover blues. Or just have a nice breakfast/brunch/brinner.


I just ate dinner...but I am hungry again. Drool.


No comments:

Post a Comment